The Rut Training Runs
Saturday, July 31, 2021
The Rut Training Runs are designed to help YOU succeed at the Rut Mountain Runs this year. We offer three courses that all go up and over Lone Peak following the back halves of the 28K and 50K courses. This is the perfect opportunity to check out the Rut courses in a stress free non-competitive environment. We will mark the course for you and have aid stations along the way. You just have to show up and run!
Date: July 31, 2021 (Saturday)
Location: Big Sky Resort | Big Sky Resort, Montana
Participation limit: 300 (There will be no waitlist )
Registration Cost: $30 **Registration Opens on May 11th at 8 AM MST**
What is included in your registration?
- A marked course to follow from start to finish.
- 2 aid stations staffed by friendly volunteers and stocked with Skratch Labs nutrition products and drink.
- The opportunity to check out the most challenging section of the Rut 28K & 50K courses in a non-competitive atmosphere.
- The confidence gained from experiencing the course prior to race day!
- All Rut Training Runs participants will also have the opportunity to purchase a lunch from Big Sky Resort while registering.
- Complimentary Big Sky Brewing Beer or Sparkling Water.
- Rut Mountain Runs water bottle.
Schedule | Saturday, July 31, 2021
- 5:30 – 8:00 am: Runner Check-in | Huntley Dining Room. (#5 on this map)
- 6:00 – 8:00 am: Rolling start for training runs. (Training Run Participants can start anytime during this window. Please read more about course cut-off times below).
- 6:00 am -1:00 pm: Training Runs in progress.
- 11:00 am -1:30 pm: Lunch catered by Big Sky Resort (optional purchase when registering).
Who can benefit from the Rut Training Runs?
The Rut Training Runs are open to anyone excited to follow a marked 9.2, 10.5, or 15-mile course on the 2nd half of the Rut 28K and 50K courses. Rut Training Runs participants DO NOT need to be signed up for the 2021 Rut. These routes, however, are challenging in nature and are designed to prepare Rut Runners for the challenges of race day. Therefore, runners are expected to be able to move comfortably on steep and exposed terrain and to make all the time cutoffs for their route.
3 Route Choices | All three routes share the same course for the first 8.5 miles and 4,100 ft of elevation gain.
- Option #1 | 9.2 Miles | 4,100 ft of elevation gain | Last part of 28K and 50K without Andesite section: This route follows the Rut VK course from the Big Sky Resort Base Area to the base of the BoneCrusher climb up Lone Peak. It then follows the Rut 28K/50K courses up and over Lone Peak before wrapping around to the base of the climb up Andesite Mountain. Instead of following the 28K and 50K routes up the Africa Climb to the summit of Andesite, you instead run .7 miles downhill to the Big Sky Base Area.
- Option #2 | 10.5 Miles | 4,900 ft of elevation gain | Last part of 28K with Andesite section: This route follows the Rut VK course from the Big Sky Resort Base Area to the summit of Lone Peak. It then follows the Rut 28K course all the way to the finish. (See 28K Map)
- Option #3 | 14.5 Miles | 5,500 ft of elevation gain | Last part of 50K with Andesite section: This route follows the Rut VK course from the Big Sky Resort Base Area to the summit of Lone Peak. It then follows the Rut 50K course all the way to the finish. (See 50K Map)
What? Cutoffs on a training run?! Although these are training runs, we still have time cutoffs for the last section of the course, as we need to be off the Mountain Bike Trails on Andesite Mountain by 11 am per our agreement with Big Sky Resort. We have designed the schedule and allowed for early starts beginning at 6 AM so that folks can avoid being stopped from using the mountain bike trails on Andesite in the final miles of their run. Below are the cut-offs for the various courses. Please read below and plan accordingly.
- 9.2 Mile Route (50K and 28K routes without Andesite section) – NO cutoff necessary as you will not be using any mountain bike trails on Andesite.
- 10.5 Mile Route (28K route with Andesite section) – Must finish the route by 11 AM. This gives you 5 hours (should you choose to start at 6 AM) to finish. You must leave the 8.5 Mile aid station no later than 10 AM to continue up the Africa Climb to the summit of Andesite. You must reach the top of Andesite no later than 10:30 AM. If you do not reach the top of Andesite in time you will have to hike down but not take a mountain bike trail.
- 14.5 Mile Route (50K route with Andesite Section) – You must leave the 8.5 Mile aid station no later than 10 AM to continue on up the Africa Climb. You must reach the top of Andesite no later than 10:30 AM. If you do not reach the top of Andesite in time you will have to hike down but not take a mountain bike trail.
Aid Stations (Same for all routes):
- Aid Station #1: Mile 3.5 (Lone Peak Summit)
- Aid Station #2: Mile 8.5 (Base of Africa Climb Up Andesite)
- Both aid stations will be stocked with Skratch goodies as well as a variety of snacks and drinks.
We have partnered with our host venue Big Sky Resort to offer Rut Training Run participants a lodging special over our Training Run Weekend. Please check out their lodging page for more info.
Getting to and from Big Sky
If you are traveling from out of state, we recommend flying into Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport which is approximately a one-hour drive from Big Sky Resort.
Questions? Email Rut Race Director Mike Foote at Mike@Runnersedgemt.com