The RUT TRAINING RUNS
Saturday, July 13, 2019 | 8 am Start
The Rut Training Runs are designed to help YOU succeed at the Rut Mountain Runs this year. These 10.5 & 15 Mile runs follow the back half of the Rut 28K and 50K courses. The routes are the exact same the first 9’ish miles. So whether you are training for the 28K or 50K you can still run together much of the day with your friends. This is the perfect opportunity to come check out the Rut courses in a non-competitive environment. We will mark the course for you, have a couple of aid stations along the way, and get you a great lunch at the finish. You just gotta show up and run!
Date: July 13, 2019 (Saturday)
Location: Big Sky Resort in Big Sky, Montana
Participation limit: 250 (There will be no waitlist)
Registration Cost: $40 (No added fees upon registering.)
What is included in your registration?
- A marked course to follow from start to finish
- 2 aid stations on the route
- Big Sky Brewing Co. Beer at the finish
- Delicious picnic lunch from the grill provided by Big Sky Resort
- Time to check out the most challenging section of the rut 28K & 50K courses in a non-competitive & non-race atmosphere
- The priceless sense of comfort in seeing and running the back half of the Rut 28K & 50K
Training Runs Schedule: (Saturday, July 13, 2019)
- 7:00-7:55 am: Runner Check-in: **Different Location than normal Rut Races** (Big Sky Resort Huntley Dining Room at the base of the Explorer Lift. (See Map)
- 8:00 am: Start Training Runs
- 8:00-1:00 pm: Runs in progress (1 pm cut off for all runners and routes)
- 11:30 am -1:30 pm: Lunch catered by Big Sky Resort
Who can benefit from the Rut Training Runs? The Rut Training Run is open to anyone excited to follow a marked 10.5 or 15-mile course with aid stations on the 2nd half of the Rut 28K and 50K courses on Lone Peak at Big Sky Resort. Rut Training Runs participants DO NOT need to be signed up for the 2019 Rut. These routes, however, are not walks in the park. They are challenging in nature and are designed to prepare Rut Runners for the challenges of race day. Therefore, runners are expected to be able to complete either a 10.5 mile or 15-mile mountain run with sections of exposure at altitudes up to 11,166ft in 5 hours or less.
- ~10.5 Mile Route: This route follows the Rut VK course from the Big Sky Resort Base Area to the summit of Lone Peak. It then follows the Rut 28K course all the way to the finish. (See 28K Map)
- ~15 Mile Route: This route follows the Rut VK course from the Big Sky Resort Base Area to the summit of Lone Peak. It then follows the Rut 50K course all the way to the finish. (See 50K Map)
- *The Two routes diverge near the top of Andesite Mountain. The 50K course does another 5 miles on the backside while the 28K course comes straight down the front side into the finish area.
Plan B Weather Route: We want the weather to be immaculate for your Rut Training Runs experience, but we know the Montana Mountain climate doesn’t always cooperate. In case of severe weather, (i.e. snow, heavy rain, lightning) we will follow backup routes that get you the distance you need for a good training run but will avoid the ridges and summit of Lone Peak.
Aid Stations (for both routes):
- Aid Station #1: Mile 3.5 (Lone Peak Summit)
- Aid Station #2: Mile 9.1 (Base of Africa Climb Up Andesite)
Accommodations: We have partnered with our host venue Big Sky Resort to offer Rut Training Run participants a lodging special over our Training Run Weekend. Please check out their lodging page for more info.
Getting to and from Big Sky: If you are traveling from out of state, we recommend flying into Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport which is approximately a one hour drive from Big Sky Resort.
Questions? Email Rut Race Director Mike Foote at Mike@Runnersedgemt.com