THE RUT 11K RACE
Sunday, September 5, 2021
Aid Stations (We are a cupless event)
There is one aid station located along the 11K course near 4.7 miles into the race. It will be supplied with water, Skratch Labs electrolyte drink, first aid, and energetic volunteers.
By the Numbers
- Distance: A short 11K (6.4 Miles)
- Aid Station: 4.7 Miles
- Elevation Gain: 1600 ft / 487 meters
- Elevation Loss: 1600 ft / 487 meters
- 80% Single Track
- 20% Dirt Road
11K Course Detailed Description
- The course begins in the Big Sky Base Area directly behind The Huntley Lodge.
- Runner’s will head south from the Base area onto the Coolridge Trail.
- The Coolridge Trail will take runners along a long climb switchbacking back and forth on the backside of Andesite Mtn.
- As The Coolridge trail comes back around the front side, the single track turns into a double track.
- Not long after, there is an unmarked STEEP singletrack trail which heads up and left. That takes you to the top of the ski run called Shady Chute.
- From there runners head up a dirt road to the summit of Andesite and the 12K’s only Aid Station almost 5 Miles into the race.
- From the summit of Andesite, you head downhill on the Pacifier dirt road until you get to the top of a STEEP unmarked downhill Mtn bike trail called Africa. It’s just after the Africa ski run.
- Runners descend the Africa singletrack until it connects into the Ambush cat track road where they will take a right.
- From there you head along the road until the Moose tracks cut off trails veers off tothe left.
- From there you connect into Moose tracks trail.
- Runners will then take a right onto the Moose Tracks trail and head downhill back to the base area and finish line near Huntley Lodge.
WAVE STARTS (TO BE DETERMINED IN SUMMER OF 2021)
We will have wave starts but we are waiting until the summer to better understand what format will need to adopt to best mitigate the spread of COVID.
This is not an orienteering race. The race organizers will do everything they can to have the course marked well for race participants the day of the event. Off-trail sections of the course will be marked in a way that race participants should be able to see from each course marking to the next to help guide them along the course. The Rut 11K will be marked with RED tape and pin flags with a black Rut Logo on them.
Please be prepared for any type of weather. Though weather in Big Sky is relatively mild and stable in mid-September historically we are still in the mountains and conditions can quickly change. This is a challenging run on challenging terrain and the race organizers reserve the right to stop the race at any time should they deem the course unsafe due to weather.
11K Fine Print
- Pacers and dogs: Not allowed.
- Trekking poles: Allowed
- Headphones: highly discouraged due to areas with rockfall hazards and potential wildlife hazards along the trail.
- Crewing: Not allowed
- Speakers: Out of respect of others, please do not use speakers for music that other people can hear. Not everyone loves your music.
- Course Changes: Due to the mountainous and technical nature of this course, race organizers may choose to make course changes on race day due to severe weather with the race participants safety in mind.
Rut Registration Policy
- There will be no deferrals, credits, transfers, or waitlists for any Rut race in 2021.
- Rut Runners who must drop out due to unforeseen circumstances may do so by May 15th will receive a 50% refund.
- Rut Runners may also move down in distance. This must be done no later than August 1st.
- The 50K can move to the 28K or 11K, but not the VK. The 28K can move to the 11K, but not the VK. The VK can move to the 11K. A transfer in distance will be charged a $5 processing fee.
- If you use your deferral from 2020 for 2021, once you have registered you cannot then defer to 2022.
- Rut Runners can transfer their registration to the virtual version of their event prior to August 1st.
- Virtual Rut Runners cannot transfer to the in-person event.
- Questions? Check out our Rut Registration FAQ's page.