6 AM start on Saturday, September 13th, 2014
The Rut 50K is an extremely challenging mountain run held on Big Sky Resort and Moonlight Basin Resort properties. Race participants will find themselves covering ALL types of terrain including jeep roads, forested single track trails, alpine ridge lines and even to the iconic summit of Lone Peak!
We strongly encourage you to become familiar with the course terrain before registering for this event.
The Rut 50K by the Numbers:
- Distance: 31 Miles / 50K
- Elevation Gain: 10,000 ft / 3,040 Meters
- Elevation Loss: 10,000 ft / 3,040 Meters
- 60% Single Track
- 30% Dirt Road
- 10% Off Trail
*The Rut 50K is limited to 500 Runners
We will have unique and fun handmade awards for top three in each age group. (20-29,30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+)
Oh yeah, we also have a $5000 prize purse for the top 3 overall Men and Women in the 50K this year!
- 1st walks away with $1500 (USD)
- 2nd gets $750 (USD)
- 3 wins $250 (USD)
To limit trail congestion and promote safety along the course, the 50K will be started in 3 waves at 5 minute offsets. If you believe you will finish in the first third of the field we recommend you sign up for wave one. If you think you will be in the middle third, please sign up for wave two. If you believe you will be in the back third then wave three is the one for you!
There are four aid stations located along the 50K course. Each aid station will be supplied with water, electrolyte drink, gels, snacks, first aid, and energetic volunteers!
- Mile 7.5: Madison Village (Cut-Off Time: 9:30AM/2:30 Hrs.)
- Mile 17.0: Tram Dock (Cut-Off Time: 11:45AM/5:30 Hrs.)
- Mile 19.5: Lone Peak Summit (Cut-Off Time: 1:45PM/7:15 Hrs.)
- Mile 25: Andesite (Cut-Off Time: 5:00PM/10:45 Hrs.)
- Mile 31: Finish Big Sky Resort Base Area (Cut-Off Time: 6:00PM/12:30 Hrs.)
~Cut-off times will be strictly enforced for the safety of the runners and the volunteers
~Runners must check into and out of each aid station. Again this is for the safety of the runners and any potential rescuers!
Runners will be able to have a drop bag at Tram Dock Aid Station (Mile 17) and Andesite Aid Station (Mile 25). Drop Bags can be turned in the morning of the race between 5:00 and 5:45 at the race start line. You can pick up your drop bag at the finish line post race. We will do our best to get them down from the race course as quickly as possible. Please note that the Andesite drop bag may take the longest to return.
You must inform the nearest aid station captain if you drop out of the race.
This is not an orienteering race. The race organizers will do everything they can to have the course marked well for race participants the day of the event. Off-trail sections of the course will be marked in a way that race participants should be able to see from each course marking to the next to help guide them along the course.
Please be prepared for any type of weather. Though weather in Big Sky is relatively mild and stable in mid-September historically we are still in the mountains and conditions can quickly change. This is a challenging run on challenging terrain and the race organizers reserve the right to stop the race at any time, should they deem the course unsafe due to weather. The race organizers will have a 50K Plan B course, which will not take race participants into exposed alpine terrain, should extreme weather exist on race day.
50K fine print:
- Pacers and dogs: Not allowed in the 50K.
- Strollers: Allowed only if you wear a GoPro
- Trekking poles: Allowed
- Headphones highly discouraged due to areas with rockfall hazards and potential wildlife hazards along the trail.
- Due to the mountainous and technical nature of this course, race organizers may choose to make course changes on race day due to severe weather with the race participants safety in mind.